Tuesday, February 10, 2009

First day as a teacher

So, I’m finally an ESL teacher… To try to explain a little better how things are here, I have to go back to yesterday however.

Yesterday was a Buddhist holiday. The school here was closed (as many students don’t know Jesus yet), but the office was open. So I came into the office with Michelle to get my material for teaching from the teacher coordinator, and get familiarized with my new environment.

First thing in the morning, I went to see the coordinator, and asked him about my teaching materials. So far, I’d been told that I’d be teaching one English class in a small room from 10 to 11 am. When I walked into his office however, he said “can you teach an 8:15 am class?” The teacher had to leave the country on emergency, and they needed someone to replace him. “It starts tomorrow”. Ok. No prob. Understandable. Then, I asked for the material for both courses. Uh… ok… not sure… And so it went. Finally, I got a couple books out of him. One turns out to be for a classroom of 80 some students! That wouldn’t be so bad, except that the material in the book really didn’t relate to anything 80 Cambodian students wanting to learn English could understand…

In the end, everything worked out well. So I came in this morning and faced my 80 students… yeah, overwhelming? Just a little… Especially when the largest ESL class I’ve ever taught had no more than 20 students… Yes, it does make a difference. Especially when you’re teaching on the roof of the building, and there’s a demolition project going on below next door!

Fortunately, the students are all very sweet. They were excited to have a new Canadian teacher, and are always all smiles. Prayer request however : creativity with my lessons and good ideas for teaching students as best as possible.

I also have my 10-11 am class, but so far there are only 7 students in that one. Apparently, though, seeing that I have white skin and a long nose (which are the 2 main requirements here according to Cambodians for you being a cool foreigner), the class may grow quickly; the thought saddens me a little, but at the same time, if it can reach more for Christ that way, then so be it.

I now have a little desk just outside of Pr Mara’s office. I’ll find out in a half hour what kind of work he’d like me to do to assist him while I’m here. Apparently he’s quite disorganized, and his wife Leah is the administrative one of the family. She works nearby for Samaritan’s purse, but I’ve already warned her that I may call on her aid for what I’m supposed to do around here to help the most.

I also offered my help in maybe organizing things a bit better here in the school coordination department. I have NO idea how I’ll do that… But something needs to be done, so we’ll see what we can come up with. If anyone has any ideas let me know! ;)

I miss everyone from home. I am starting to settle in a bit though. My health is not great right now, but with God’s strength somehow I’ve been able to go through the classes without a problem this morning. Maybe I’m already climbing up out of it.

If anyone from back home is actually reading these updates, know that you’re constantly in my mind and prayers.
Lotsa Love!
n

1 Comments:

Blogger sarliche said...

Hahaha... I laughed when you mentioned that demolition project - I can just imagine!

I had issues teaching my computer class during the demolition time, and we were inside the church! Surprised you didn't have a hoarse throat at that time!

Been reading through your Cambo posts, wow... our experiences have been so different yet so familiar! You have really been able to get to know people well and you document stories really well. Reading gives me a different perspective from what I knew about you during my time there. A big hug and a smile for you Noeime, God is using you powerfully in Cambodia.

Love,
Saz =)

12:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home