Thursday, January 04, 2007

New



There's something exciting about the "new". Remember when you were a kid; that new toy, the new bike, the new grade... and then growing up; the new friends, new haircut (at least, for girls...), the new computer, the new vacation... But "new" also brings a bit of apprehension sometimes... I remember many of those "new"s too, like moving into a new house, a new school, or even a new province. Or starting a new job. You just don't know what to expect. It can be very intimidating, even overwhelming... I remember a dream a friend shared with me. She was on a stone path, in the middle of a forest, late at night. It was very dark; she knew what her surroundings were somehow, yet she really couldn't see them. The only light around was a small beam lighting the stone just in front of her, which would allow her to take only one step. But then what? Although feeling afraid and alone, she decided the only thing she could do was to step on the lit rock. She'd figure out the rest later. Yet, as she did so, the beam moved ahead one stone, so she could take one more step. She did. And the beam moved ahead one other stone. And so, she started walking along the path. She soon realized someone was moving that light so that she could always keep walking in safety, yet without being able to go ahead or see any farther than that next step.

Life is often like that dark path. You just can't see ahead far enough to start running along. Even if you do run, you'll find the unexpected hiding at every corner. Yet, there's a special promise given many years ago. It's from the book of Jeremiah (29:11): "For I know the plans I have for you", says the Lord,"plans to prosper you, and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future."

As strange as it may sound, someone has already walked that path you're walking, and is looking at it's beginning from its end. But, just like my favorite scripture (Prov 3:5-6) says, if you want that amazing person to help you out, you have to let him. How? Well, you need to ask him, first of all, and then, you need to do what he tells you to do. It's sorta like playing Marco Polo, except he's not trying to trick you or to run away, but is wanting to lead you to safety. He's the only one who sees the road fully...

As we enter this new year, my confidence is in my Lord, who's seen this year already. There are no surprises ahead for him.

But there are plenty for me. My heavenly Dady is delightfully planning surprises, both good ones, and difficult ones (just to keep working on my character, to keep me well disciplined). This is the year of "new": new life, new salvations, new friendships, new trips, new challenges, new disappointments, new joys, new growth, new direction... And I have no idea what lies ahead... I mean, I have some ideas of what I've planned, but when all is said and done, I really don't know.

And it's just as well that way. I'm not anxious, but I trust in my God's promise that He'll never leave me or forsake me, that even if I walk through the valley of death, I don't need to fear any evil, cause He's with me. Even if I hid in the deepest parts of the sea, I still could't get away from Him. He knows me entirely, every secret, every thought, every mistake, and yet He loves me fully, every inch of me. It's too awesome to really understand...

I'm facing 2007, and all its "new", with much anticipation. Not thinking of it as a lonely, tortuous path through a dark forest, but rather like a little girl enjoying the trail, riding on her daddy's shoulders!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home