Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Bible classes!

It was so much fun! This morning, I decided to do both of my Bible classes the same day, as I don’t have classes tomorrow. I’ll be heading out with Pr Jesse and a guest speaker to the worship team retreat that’s currently going on. They’re picking me up at around 7am. I don’t think a lot of “expats” are going, but a lot of the worship team people also speak English, so I think I’ll be alright.

Things are so unpredictable here. When I arrived this morning (my first class starts at 8:15), I was going to stay for staff prayer (which is from 7:45 to 8:30) only for a bit. But all the worship team members had left for the retreat, and no one left behind could lead worship. So I volunteered. Anyone who plays piano would know how painful it is to play a little keyboard without a sustain peddle. As soon as I can, I’m buying a peddle to carry around with me wherever I go, just in case! Anyway, no one seemed minded. Worship time here is very spontaneous anyway. I sang in English, and Pr Mara sang along with me in Khmer. Then, at 8:10, I snuck out to make it on time for my class.

Oh, side story : as I was waiting for the sound people to set up the keyboard, I saw a little creature bumbling along on the stage a few feet behind me. It took me a few seconds to make sure I was seeing correctly. But I was. A cockroach about the size of a small mouse is apparently part of the sound equipment here. Cambodians really don’t mind them. No one made a move to kill it, even though they saw it as plainly as I did. In fact they were teasing me a little for my reaction. On the other hand, apparently they hate geckoes! Weird, huh!

For my first class today, I started teaching them Jeremy Camp’s “Beyond Measure”. I had to do it acapella, but they didn’t seem to mind. We got through the first verse and I sang through the chorus a few times. I talked about the poetry and imagery behind the song. Then I shared a testimony of when God really blessed me. It’s so cool to know that a lot of these people don’t know God, and this is their Bible exposure time.

For my small class, I pulled out 1 Cor 13 about love. We started looking at the scripture itself, and the vocabulary. That took a big chunk of the class. I did it like Small Group format, with discussion questions after, and it made me think a lot of back home.

Oh! I just saw a tiny gecko walking on the carpet in front of me! Awww. It was really cute. As long as it’s a gecko and not another cockroach, I’m ok.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home