Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Oh summer...

It’s getting hotter and hotter everyday. Now, the cold water from the shower is a welcomed blessing! I could start taking longer showers again… but I won’t. Water is not as readily available here. Usually I’ll shower in the evening, and a little in the morning as well, if there’s water.

My English classes are going well, but I’m still in need of new ideas, especially for my bigger class. I’m looking through “Dave’s ESL Café” right now, which is an online resource I’d heard about while doing my ESL course. Hopefully I’ll find stuff there…

I’ve started teaching piano now, to one student, Srey Mech. She’s a really sweet girl, and teaching her is fun. She’s actually the host on a Christian music TV show (kinda like MTV I guess) that’s on every week for ½ hour. It’s been a scramble getting started though, and right now she’s practicing upstairs on the roof. The roof here is covered, and part of it is used for the English classes. That part is all open, and even though it gets hot in the afternoon, there’s still a breeze. But there’s also a part that’s closed in, for the kids’ church offices, and for the nursery. AC doesn’t work well in that room. That’s the room we’re using right now, cause it’s the only one that’s available. But it actually feels like a stuffy closed in attic, with no airflow whatsoever. It’s kinda suffocating. And usually my lessons are in the afternoons (my English classes are in the morning, so I wouldn’t be able to do piano then)… eek.

Other than that, things are still pretty relaxed right now. I’ve been editing some of Moo’s documents. Her job is Donor Relations. It may sound boring, but she’s actually the one who communicates with donors, writes up reports of how the support is being used here, and articles to encourage people to keep giving. It’s cool cause she gets to hear all the testimonies of what God is doing, and tell them to others overseas. It’s more like a reporter job, so it’s actually quite interesting!

Oh, and I caught a tropical disease… it’s called “the attack of a bloodsucking mosquito army”. Amber, Moo and I got a good laugh out of it. I was watching a movie up in Amber’s area a couple nights ago, and it was so hot that I was just wearing a thin short dress. I never felt a single bite. But the next morning, it looked like I had a terrible case of chicken pox. Becca may remember the night we stayed out chatting in the backyard, and how ugly my feet looked the next morning, all polka dotted. Well, it’s kinda like that, but all over my legs!

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

ahahah, oh dear. Do they have anything close to calamine lotion over there?

8:27 AM  
Blogger Noemie said...

hey, it went away pretty fast... we took a pic though, so I'll have to show it to you when I come home... ;)

8:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home